The aim of the project Terrys Creek was to provide the community with a safe walking & cycling trail whilst protecting the native bush and tree root systems. Terrys Creek runs through the city of Ryde, a calm creek that is the home to many happy members of Australian wildlife. A forest of blue gum and Sydney Turpentine Ironbark have been endangered by the build-up of new urban areas and change of environment that has caused its toll on this creek and its wildlife.
Ryde Council engaged us to deliver a total of 236 lineal metres across 12 sections of FRP Boardwalks, Bridges & Stairways on a rugged bush trail running beside Terrys Creek in Marsfield, NSW. An assessment was performed at each location to determine which boardwalk system would suit best in its natural environment e.g. rocky underground, soft shifting soils.
The Products we used are Fleetwood Urban’s Mars™ & Bower™ Systems which are lightweight FRP Structures and Mesh Decking, perfect for difficult access projects such as this one. All materials had to be transported by hand along the existing trail (the furthest section being 1km from the compound).
- Ryde Council procured and engaged us via Local Government Procurement (LGP) as we are pre-qualified under LGP 308.2 - Open Space Structures (procuring via LGP gives Council the ability to request quotes directly from their chosen pre-qualified Contractors saving time, tax-payers money, and the assurance that their project requirements can be met).
- The project took around 5 weeks of site work to complete and great care was taken to have minimal impact on the native flora and fauna… a high priority us and for Ryde Council.
- There was minimal excavation and demolition involved during the construction. Specialised FWU equipment designed to minimise ground disturbance was also developed and used by our install team.
- Battery operated tools and silent generators were used to avoid disrupting an area of the bush where the Powerful Owls were known to be sensitive during their mating season. (information provided by Ryde City Council fauna specialist contract document)
- Keeping the track open to public whilst constructing a new boardwalk proved challenging ensuring the safety of public and worker – no incidents or accidents reported!
click here to contact us about how LGP308 can work for your project!